Do your bit for the environment and offset your carbon dioxide emissions by helping restore a Finnish wetland. You can include Oomi Offset to any Oomi electricity contract during purchase.
With Oomi Offset, you can take environmental action for just €0.23 a day. By purchasing Oomi Offset, you can increase nature’s carbon stores, while simultaneously helping wetland nature to recover and waters to become clean again.
An effortless and practical act with a personal touch that benefits the climate and Finnish nature.
1,200 kg of carbon dioxide equals approximately:
- 8,200 km travelled by car or
- 4,700 km travelled by plane or
- 4 cruises from Finland to Sweden or
- 43 kg of beef.
You can include Oomi Offset to any Oomi electricity contract during purchase.
Oomi Offset is a domestic form of carbon offset, with allows you to offset your personal and your family’s unavoidable climate emissions. Do your bit for the environment by offsetting those emissions that you cannot avoid in daily life.
The principles of responsible offsetting:
- Avoid emissions. You should avoid causing unnecessary emissions.
- Reduce emissions. Next, the unavoidable emissions must be minimised.
- Offset your emissions. Only the remaining unavoidable emissions are offset.
With Oomi Offset, you can take environmental action for just €0.23 a day.
Here is how you can purchase Oomi Offset when signing an electricity contract
We want to make it easy and flexible to offset unavoidable emissions. Whichever Oomi electricity contract you choose, you can add Oomi Offset to it.
First, choose an electricity contract
Start by choosing an electricity contract
Add to your contract Oomi Offset
After choosing a contract, you can use the same form to select the Oomi Offset additional product, which allows you to easily compensate the necessary emissions of everyday life.
Go to contract confirmation
Fill in the rest of the information and confirm the contract. Soon, the emissions from your everyday life can be compensated for the benefit of Finnish nature.
A carbon offset project: restoration of Iso Piitsonsuo in Ilomantsi.
The wetland ecosystem that has been harmed by artificial drainage will be restored back towards a natural state. The restoration project began in early winter 2021 and will continue until 2023. The restoration of the most challenging part of Iso Piitsonsuo, a soft area of bog ponds in the centre of the wetland, was completed in February 2022. The entire area covers roughly 350 hectares. Read more about the location on Hiilipörssi’s website (link in Finnish).
A restored wetland serves as a water filter and flow regulator. Several rare and endangered plants and animals will also return to the restored wetland. Furthermore, the climate benefits of stopping carbon from escaping will begin as soon as the wetland becomes wet again, which in practice will happen the following spring after the ditches have been blocked.
Three reasons to choose Oomi Offset
- Multifunctional: By purchasing Oomi Offset, you can increase nature’s carbon stores, while simultaneously helping wetland nature to recover and waters to become clean again.
- Domestic and tangible: The various effects of wetland restoration will take place in Finnish nature, near you. These effects are permanent, visible and continuously increasing.
- Reliable and transparent: Scientific research has confirmed the positive impact of wetland restoration. You can find information on the wetland ecosystem’s recovery in Finnish on Hiilipörssi’s website, in addition to which you can visit the location in person.
Are you already Oomi's customer?
If you already have an Oomi electricity contract and want to add the Oomi Emission Credit to your current contract, you can contact our customer service directly.
Oomi's customer services
09 2522 1122
ma-pe klo 8-18